Top 3 Benefits of Meal Planning


The Top 3 Benefits of Meal Planning  

OK, I know, planning out your exact menu for the week might seem a bit tedious.  I thought so too at first, and sometimes I still do!  But I know for sure that it is worth the effort, and it is the only thing that helps me stay on track with my nutrition goals for the week. 

Think of meal planning as your directions to get you to a destination.  You wouldn't just get in your car blindly and drive with no directions / GPS if you are driving to a new destination, right?  Directions make your trip easier and it saves you time so you don't get lost... and that is what meal planning can do! 

I always recommend that our challengers write out their meal plans over the weekend for the upcoming week.  It can feel overwhelming at first (which is why I provide plenty of sample meal plans for them to use) but eventually the process gets easier.  Putting in the extra effort ahead of time to plan out a week long meal plan is totally worth it.  And if you ask any persona who successfully sticks with a healthy nutrition plan, they will likely agree that they are planning their meals ahead of time!  My motto is:  if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

If you still aren't on the meal planning bandwagon, here are 3 benefits that just might get you to hop on! 

1) Saves you time and money in the grocery store.

When you plan out your meals ahead of time (I recommend planning out all meals and snacks) you can put together a specific grocery list to ensure that you buy only the items that you need. I categorize my grocery list by the section / aisles so not only do I save money by avoiding the unnecessary extras that catch my eye, but I save time because I am able to zip through the store and grab what I need as I go through each section.  It makes shopping so much easier!  I know my 3 year old certainly likes to get in and out of the store as fast as possible, so anything I can do to make it out of the store without a meltdown is welcome! 

2) Helps you avoid unhealthy choices and overeating / undereating. 

When you have a meal plan and all the food is stocked up for you in the house, it's so much easier to eat healthy!  Think about it, you already have all the food right there waiting for you, and if you avoided buying the unnecessary stuff (refer to previous item) then there probably aren't that many other options for you in the house.  After I go grocery shopping I try to prep whatever food I can so I can "grab and go" with snacks and lunches during the week.  I will wash up and portion my fruits and veggies.  I will also prep any meals and snacks that I can so I can have it ready to toss in my lunch bag when I'm rushing off to work in the morning.  That extra prep helps me avoid takeout, skipping meals, and wasting food.   

3) Helps you stay on track with your nutrition goals. 

When you plan what you eat, you eat what you plan.  Did you catch that?  Let's say it once more:  when you plan what you eat, you eat what you plan.  Doesn't that sound lovely?  It's just like I mentioned above, your meal plan should be thought of as the directions that will get you to your "destination".  That destination is a healthier you! 

I hope you found this helpful!  If you are looking for a little guidance with meal planning, or need some accountability to stay on track with your nutrition / fitness goals then fill out this super quick application to inquire about my challenge groups! 



Are you struggling to stay consistent with your nutrition and fitness?  Or are you looking for an extra push to overcome a plateau or break free of boredom with your current routine? 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fab Fit FunJen

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig