4 tips to help you get the best results when working out at home


Life is busy.  Adulting is hard.  For many of us, getting to the gym can be impossible but it is no reason to neglect your fitness.  Home fitness is a great solution for those of us who can't get to the gym.  

I know that many people feel they just CAN'T exercise at home and I completely sympathize and relate to those feelings.  I was a former gym girl myself but as a sucker for informercials I always had a stash of workout DVDs lying around.  I jokingly referred to them as the dust collectors - because I would try it a couple of times and then let them sit on my shelves collecting dust for months, even years.  I recently gave away all those old DVDs and several were still wrapped in the cellophane unused.  It wasn't that I didn't like the workouts on the DVDs it was because I loved the energy of the gym.  I loved the social aspect of being there and I also needed to be removed from home where I felt there were too many distractions.  BUT after I became a mom things changed and I no longer had the freedom to get to the gym like I had before.  I tried but sadly realized that (SHOCKER) making it to the gym for a 20 minute workout 1-2 times a week doesn't get results!  LOL

My only solution was to get my workouts in at home so I finally gave Beachbody a try.  It was a completely different experience for me and I was able to get amazing results without ever stepping foot in the gym.  In fact, I haven't been to the gym since I started Beachbody programs and I am more fit than I ever have been in my life!  I talk to people ALL THE TIME who write off home fitness due to past failures, so that was the inspiration for this blog post.  I hate talking to these people who are clearly frustrated with their health and fitness, yet they convince themselves that home fitness will not work for them.  I believe that anyone can make home fitness enjoyable and get amazing results if these 4 things are in place:  

1.  Follow a program.  One thing that was different wit Beachbody programs is that each program is designed for a specific training method.  They come with a collection of workouts and a calendar to follow.  They are put together by fitness professionals who designed the programs very strategically.  If you're looking for a home fitness solution, don't just pop in a random DVD or search online for workouts on YouTube.  Unless you are a trained fitness professional, then you are not knowledgeable enough to know what exercise you should be doing without ricking under-training or overtraining.  Also, when you have a complete program to follow it gives you a sense of commitment.  Lack of commitment is a huge reason why people fail with their fitness goals - at home and the gym!  

2.  Be clear on your nutrition requirements.  Again I will mention Beachbody, because I think they give you the whole package.  Their fitness programs also come with a specific eating plan suitable for that specific program.  Certain types of exercise require more calories or specific macros - it's not a one size fits all approach.  So you really have to be clear on what foods you should be eating and how much because (as you may have heard) you just can't out-exercise a bad diet. 

3.  Get it done early.  Try to make your workout the first thing you check off on your to-do list every day. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of waking up early for a workout but it is SO WORTH IT.  I don't love the idea of waking up early, but I do love the idea of knowing that no one else will be awake to distract me, that it will energize me, that it will put me in a happier mood, and that t is hands-down the only way I can consistently guarantee I'll get my workout in (without hating it).  I can't think of a single person who I've worked with that successfully sticks with their workout program who isn't doing morning workouts.  Your energy and willpower with lessen as the day goes on so when it comes to getting your sweat on - the earlier the better!  I believe so strongly in this that I even wrote an ebook on the subject that I give to my customers to help them shift to a morning workout routine.  

4.  Accountability.  Find someone who you trust is serious about their fitness goals and set up a way to hold each other accountable  Maybe you can meet and do your workouts together, or do daily check-ins, weekly progress reports, etc.  Connect with friends who support your habits and goals and will push you to stay consistent.  This is one of the greatest benefits of our challenge groups - connecting with other people who support your goals and keep you accountable.  Your bound to make better decisions when you see that others around you are making it work and cheering you on as well! 

I hope you found these tips helpful.  I did a Facebook live video, so if you're interested in hearing a bit more depth on these tips you can click here to watch it.  

And of course, if you'd like to learn more about the programs I mentioned or our challenge groups please email be at fabfitfunjen@gmail.com.  



FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK


No comments

Post a Comment

© Fab Fit FunJen

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig